toil in hope and you will get there.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The 17.5% Error

I received my marked research paper this morning, and it ended up being a bittersweet moment. On the one hand, this behemoth of a paper that's worth 40% of my final mark, the paper which I fretted over, uncharacteristically, for over a week, received the highest mark in the class. Unfortunately, I only got 30/40 on it...that's right, 75%.

When I handed in my paper proposal, the professor commented that it was the best synopsis in the class, but that I forgot to mention the articles contained in our textbook. It seems that when it came time to write the actual paper, I over-compensated for that previous deficiency. I scored nearly perfectly in the "theory comprehension" section, but scored 0/7 for the requirement of integrating the class material! Essentially, that 17.5% I squandered could have landed me with a 92.5% on the paper. Though I certainly had the class notes in mind while I was articulating my theses, I suppose I didn't adequately delineate where I was throwing it in.

It's frustrating, to be sure, that I could have made such a mistake. I guess I can take some small comfort in the fact that Dr. Martel has requested a copy of my paper to post on her personal website, as a "stunning" example of a quality 400-level paper.

Currently: Chowing down on some baked pyrogies

No comments: