toil in hope and you will get there.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Chosen One

It seems that good things come to those who network. While applying for a position at the Population Research Lab, I'd chosen to use Professor McVey as one of my professional references. He'd actually retired, but due to staffing shortages, he'd been asked to come back and teach Spring/Summer Term courses. He's still teaching as we speak, so it appears that his temporary re-employment has been extended.

The other evening I received a call from one of the directors at the PRL, asking me if I'd like to partake in an upcoming focus group. I assumed this was something that a large portion of the staff was being asked to do, and since I was new to the job, she was just getting around to adding me to that list.

On this account, however, I was wrong. It appears that I'm only one of six people chosen for this assignment. This paid assignment.

I was hand-picked by the research coordinator, due to my glowing letter of reference from Professor McVey! I'll be aiding him in testing, and making suggestions on, questions he'll be using in an upcoming survey about students and their decisions to move out or stay at home, their opinions on what "adulthood" entails, etc. Another focus is on socio-cultural differences.

What can I say...I'm honoured to have my class performance come full-circle and aid me, no matter how small the degree, for my chosen field of study.

Currently: Making some midnight Hamburger Helper to celebrate!

No comments: