toil in hope and you will get there.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Crisp Clean Air

I never would have imagined it, but I've managed to catch the running bug. Now, I'm not talking about the kind of "running" that plays out the morning after binging on beer and jumbo donairs - I'm talking about enjoying the great outdoors 5km at a time.

When Nicole signed up for winter running classes, I justifiably reasoned that she had simply lost her mind. January is hardly the time I'd choose to start running outdoors. In fact, never is about the time I'd choose to start running...period. I believe my distaste for running stems from the fiendishly forced "fitness runs" in gym class. When the teachers were too lazy to organize a sport, or teach us something new, they simply fired up their stop watches and made us run around like government mules. Quite frankly, I hated it and them with all my being.

Anyways, Nicole has now convinced me twice, with those undeniable doe eyes of hers, to join her for runs in the arctic air. With proper running attire, it ended up being far less tortureous than I anticipated. It's actually easier to run in the cold than it is in the sweltering heat, and the snow adds some degree of cushioning from the pavement.

Here's my secret: I enter my running "zone" by focusing on the slow, burning rage that I harbour towards Student Loans, the University of Alberta, Advanis Field Research, and any bill collector I've had in my life. That's usually enough to fuel me for at least half an hour!

Currently: Massaging my tender groin-al area. Uhhhhh!

1 comment:

k.skinner said...

Hmmm....that's an excellent idea! Though even if we were to make that argument that Nicole MADE me go out running, I had the pleasure/misfortune of enjoying the event.

Quite frankly, I can't wait to own my first pair of spandex running pants!