toil in hope and you will get there.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Advanis Advantage

Bleh...so generally when your place of work calls you at home, it can't be expected to be a good thing. Effective immediately, I am no longer an employee of Advanis Field Research.

It's one thing to be fired because you're a bad employee, or because you gave the manager's underage daughter an STD, but to be laid off due to corporate "downsizing" is perhaps the worst fate of all. Through no fault of your own, or so I'd like to imagine, your job simply ceases to exist. Poof! Needless to say, the unexpected news came as a bit of a shock.

Now, let's be completely honest. I did not covet this job because I enjoyed it or received any degree of satisfaction from it. There were some very practical reasons I endured it:

1. Starting wage was $10/hr. I'd never get rich but still half decent for a student.
2. You could schedule a shift for whenever you wanted! The ultimate in flexibility.
3. It was a part-time job (re: no benefits) but at least you could put in 42 hours per week.
4. I could study while on the job.

Quite frankly, it's fairly difficult to find a job with the flexibility to work around a university schedule, provide you with a large amount of hours, and still pay a reasonable wage. Bah!

Currently: Digging up my resume so I can update it.

No comments: