toil in hope and you will get there.

Thursday, May 20, 2004

Intersection of Hooker St. and Hobo Ave.

Ah, what a glorious section of the city I live in. The Avenue of Nations, it's called, and judging by the rent I pay, you'd think it was a gated community with servants and beach-front villas down in the tropics.

But no, the only people around who accept money for giving you a hand are gangly hookers, and that's not the sound of the ocean you're hearing, but stolen grocery carts being wheeled down the back alley at 6:00am.

What really gets me, though, is the no-holds-barred mobilization of the Police in this part of town. I pulled up to my apartment to run in and use the phone before heading back out...I couldn't have been on the phone for more than a minute. When I came back outside, a car had been pulled over near the end of my alley, swarmed by 5 squad cars and a paddy wagon! Either I hadn't been paying attention when I first pulled in, or this massive scene of Edmonton's finest simply materialized spontaneously out of errant atoms and kinetic energy.

They had one guy in cuffs and another two lined up along a building, but a dozen officers for 3 people seems a bit much. Meanwhile, the hookers watched on in patient professionalism, eager to reclaim their turf once the boys in blue vacated.

Currently listening to: Saves The Day - My Sweet Fracture

No comments: