toil in hope and you will get there.

Monday, January 26, 2004

Super Nerd Love +4

I might be accused of being the kettle who called the pot black, during this tale, but that doesn't negate my necessity to share it with you.

It was the last day of the Imaginus poster sale on campus, and after carefully narrowing down my poster selections from an initial 8, to an eventual 3, to an actual 2, I was politely informed that only cash or credit was accepted, and I was to take my Interac-carrying ass directly out the door and down to the cash machines. It was standing in line at the Royal Bank Instant Teller that I witnessed one of nature's little miracles - the mysterious enigma known as love.

Directly ahead of me in line were a boy and a girl (or young man and young woman) who resembled real-life interpretations of the characters in the latest Penny Arcade strip. Uber-Nerds to the extreme, with all the social ineptitude and awkwardness that this walk of life entails. It was the first time, I believe, that I've seen such a young lady with a hunched back, and a gentleman with such a dazzling array of pens and highlighters in his front pocket. The way they stumbled shyly through two word sentences, the averted gazes to the floor and Coca-Cola sponsored walls, even the fact that they were totally holding up the line whilst enamored in this cosmic ballet, drew my attention to one simple truth:

It was the most beautiful thing I'd seen all day!


Currently: Crying on the inside 'cause they ran out of "Bathroom Bolshevik" posters

No comments: