toil in hope and you will get there.

Sunday, January 25, 2004

Monkey Year

Happy Chinese New Year! Wha? You say the Chinese New Year was on January 22...not January 24!? Well then, someone forgot to tell the private Chinese New Year party that had taken over The Fox.

To be perfectly clear, I hold no animosity towards the Chinese or their holidays, but the presence of their party at the bar effectively wiped out nearly all the highlights that had convinced me to show up in the first place. While talking to my buddy on the phone, he was very excited to reveal all the goodness that awaited me - no line, no cover, cheap drinks, cheap wings because of the Oilers game, a pub atmosphere...but with a dance floor, and a waitress who was supposed to feed us $1.50 shooters all night! In case you were keeping track of that all, it's quite an unbroken string of positives.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation was far different: "Wha, ticket? I need a $5 ticket to get in? Oh, coat-check, okay, it's only a few bucks. Hmmm...the kitchen's closed, eh? It's a good thing I ate those Skittles for lunch. So, barkeep, what's the specials? Oh, no specials, but $4.50 for a beer. Sure, I think I'll get one. Hey guys, you have to pay to get in, too? You did? Well, are there at least cheap shooters? I don't think I can afford another beer. $3.00 each...*long, loud scream of anguish*"

I guess the party made all previous Saturday Night specials void. But I did get a cool red envelope at the door, and made out with the first monkey I saw.

An actual monkey, not one of the Chinese people at the bar. Sheesh.


Currently listening to: Coldplay - Sparks

No comments: