toil in hope and you will get there.

Friday, January 23, 2004

Old School

It's almost hard to comprehend, but for one of the first times in my illustrious academic career, I'll discover what it's like to have scholastic responsibilities outside of the classroom. Unlike many students in other faculties, like Science, I don't have hours of labs, or group projects, or "homework." A large portion of my classes are simply read the books, attend a few classes, write the midterm, write the final, get decent grade.

In a way, it's rejuvenating to break these boundaries and actually do some active learning. This week at the University of Alberta is International Week, where countless guest speakers, performers, and discussion panels, are at your disposal to learn about this crazy world we live in. And considering I'm about to finish a BA in Sociology - the official study of how this crazy world works - I can't believe I haven't taken advantage of this amazing opportunity to learn ever before! Topics range from "The Right to Health in the Era of Globalization," to "Human Security: War in the 21st Century," to "Edzimkulu: Rebuilding AIDS Communities in South Africa." The opening ceremonies were a melange of free-style rappers, break dancers, and poetry readings, and I was actually enjoying the true nature of my field of study - the one glossed over by bland textbooks and studying the minutiae of sociological statistics.

God bless my Professor, who had the foresight and determination to make attendance at International Week events a requirement for the course, basing several papers and exercises on what you've learned. Though I only need to attend a fraction of the events to effectively do my assignments, this opportunity has inspired me to soak as much up as possible.

So, for the first time ever, I'll enjoy an entire week of school where I have more academic hours logged outside the classroom than in. And quite frankly, I couldn't possibly have a more eager grin on my face.


Currently listening to: Coldplay - High Speed

No comments: