toil in hope and you will get there.

Monday, December 15, 2003

"Enmity it all!"

As my final exam schedule nears it's completion, I can honestly say I look back on my study-time with fond memories of perseverance and determination - such as the determination to complete Splinter Cell in close to one sitting.

Now, I bought this game when it first shipped, and played it like a madman for the first week I owned it, but I recently accomplished more in the span of 48 hours than I had previously done in the past year. Don't ask me why, don't ask me how - maybe the planets were out of alignment or Safeway Select cola wasn't stimulating my neural pathways - but up until this latest surge of playing, I'd never been able to complete level 3. I was surprised, and a little chagrined, to learn that the completion of this relatively short level was anticlimactic and easy, in fact, almost laughably so. But so help me God, I could not find the guy with the briefcase before time ran out and the whole offshore rig incincerated to ashes. Fast forward 8 months, as I re-play the level, turn a corner I'd turned a hundred times, and walk right in to the guy. "Well enmity, that bastard was easy to find."

With newfound vigour I bunkered down for the homestretch and sneaked, sniped, and s...er...hmmm...strafed my way through levels 4 to 9. Having completed the game, I am now left with the gamers remorse, but have vowed to continue working my way though my game collection, with Metroid Prime clearly in my sights. But if I'm to do it, I'd better do it before Christmas, 'cause I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be getting Prince of Persia from Santa, you know, considering I had to walk his representatives down to the store, point the game out, have the videogame Key Master open the case, and wait while they paid for it with their MasterCard.


Currently: Setting up my very first Christmas tree - no lights but plenty of balls.

No comments: