toil in hope and you will get there.

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

eMachine EMT

This morning I...aw, who am I kidding...this afternoon I was woken by one of the most irritating, persistent noises I've ever had the misfortune of audibly processing. At first I thought it was coming from outside, from the parking lot, where some jerk was running his car, knowing full well that his fan belt had fewer days ahead than already past. But no, the sound intensified as I stumbled out of my room in to the living room, where I discerned through the darkness that it was coming from my computer!

Now, I didn't piece this thing together myself, but I am aware that moving, mechanical parts are few and far between in this electronic device, and they rarely come in to play while in standby mode. Who would have thought that little 2" fan attached to my motherboard could emit such a cacophony of groans. Cleaning a noticeable caking of dust off the internal components did little to silence the problem, so I was forced to do what I used to do with the Festiva when it emitted strange clunks and pangs - crank the tunes louder.

So, with the help of iTunes and some of my favourite internet radio stations, I effectively evaded fixing the problem, and ushered my computer that much closer to the brink of oblivion before the factory warranty expires. I should work at Future Shop.


Currently listening to: DJ Q-Bert - Wave Twisters

No comments: