toil in hope and you will get there.

Monday, November 08, 2004

The College Years: 1 Year Later + 18 days

It's almost hard to believe, but exactly 383 days ago I published my first post for this here little blog. On a quiet, late, October night, I nestled down in front of my computer desiring nothing more than to transmit my thoughts through the printed word.

This post was actually started on the exact one year anniversary, but I seem to remember I was too tired to type, opting to hit the sack instead of conjure up some fantastical piece of literary magnificence.

At this time, however, I'm honoured to speak about a far more important one year celebration - the remembrance of the passing on of my Gido. My original post, shortly following his death, can be found here, in the archive. This past Sunday I made my way back down to Two Hills, with most of my family and the rest of the Semeniuk side. We attended a service at the Ukrainian Catholic church, which was slightly foreign to me, as I'm neither Catholic nor comprehend the Ukrainian language. The service, as I imagine most Catholic services to be, was highly ritualized, structured, and honestly, not all that uplifting.

The lunch afterwards, however, more than made up for it. There was enough food there to easily feed a crowd thrice as large, and there was no escaping a whole armada of Babas claiming, "Eat! Eat! You look so thin!" These events are also very strange, in that you stumble across a great deal of people who remember you, yet you have no idea who they are. Old friends of the family, my Pee Wee hockey coach...my old school bus driver from Kindergarten. Heck, you never know who you'll meet! Typically each exchange starts out the same, with the mystery person claiming, "Boy Kris, you sure look a lot like your father! Same haircut, glasses...skinny as a rail!"

I shake hands, smile and nod, and quietly force down another piece of cake.

Currently listening to: Matthew Good - While We Were Hunting Rabbits

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
k.skinner said...

Very eloquent.