toil in hope and you will get there.

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I Fought The Law...

...and the law won. Apparently, intent to try and do the right thing is not sufficient for any degree of leniency. Well, that's not correct. The judge gave me until May 2005 to pay $172 for not turning right. The first dozen or so people before me were up for driving without insurance, and that carries a minimum fine of $2850, for the first offence, and increases dramatically from there. By the time it got to me, I almost felt kind of silly asking for time to pay my comparably insignificant fine.

The experience as a whole, however, was actually an interesting one. I had pleaded not guilty (as I rightly believed I had a reasonable explanation for trying to get out of that traffic situation) so the case went to trial. First the police officer took the stand and gave his statement. I then had the opportunity to ask the officer questions, but his statement pretty much verified what I was already going to say: was in right-turn lane, signaled to get out, turned into left lane once light turned green. Since he was using those facts to base his charges against me, my attempt to use the same facts to plead my innocence was severely hampered.

It was then my turn to take the stand, got to state my name, swear on the Bible and everything! They didn't tell me which hand to place on it, but movies have assured me that it's the right. Actually, they first ask you if you're willing to swear on the Bible, and you can say yes or no. I gave my little rendition of the events, the prosecution asked me why I didn't just turn right and circle around the block, and I countered that LRT construction was causing havoc in the area (detours, etc.) it was rush-hour, and I had no idea where I'd end up.

The judge commended me on how well-spoken my statement was, but in the end, upheld the fine. She took sympathy on my inflexible student budget, and granted me time to pay, which was much more courteous than throwing me in jail for 3 days.

Currently listening to: Our Lady Peace - Naveed