toil in hope and you will get there.

Monday, March 01, 2004

Pain

Someone remind me not to try and "lead a healthy lifestyle" once I hit 30, because even an hour of physical exertion is enough, at the age of 23, to incapacitate me for days!

Though much has been said about the hours of back-breaking labour all my buddies logged simply to clear the snow for our game of ball hockey, I'd like to put those unfounded concerns aside and address my current situation. It's been months since we've gathered together to play even a single game, and though we're all fairly healthy young men, I wouldn't go so far as to say any of us adhere to an active lifestyle, so an afternoon of running around is quite a shock to the system. I couldn't imagine having to actually run around, but as an All Star goaltender, I've got a few specific taxations on my body - namely the weight of my equipment and the constant kneeling down/standing up (or, well, flopping around) necessary to be effective (I use the term loosely).

It's not the day of the game which you're concerned about, it's the next morning that truly sucks. I've been hobbling around like an old man with two peg legs and the bruises up and down the back of my legs from the pad straps only seem to increase in tenderness.

But as much as I like to bitch and moan, the sheer enjoyment from getting the gang together for an afternoon of heated competition is worth the resulting recovery time, and a few bruises and stiff legs only serve as an encouragement to make sure these games happen with an increased regularity. So here's the all the young, but aging, Backyard Warriors and their foolish exploits yet to come! Ha-zah!


Currently listening to: AIR - How Does It Make You Feel?

No comments: