toil in hope and you will get there.

Monday, March 29, 2004

Downright Crafty

The extent to which I can be frugal and cost-effective seemingly knows no bounds - at times. A while ago I was faced with a very disturbing dilemma. During one of our many visits to Value Village for fantastic bargains, Jeremy and I happened upon an orange Che Guevara shirt, vintage, straight from Cuba. It was one of the most unique finds at the time, which was before the mass-market push of Che shirts, which can now be found at nearly every t-shirt shop and mall kiosk.

I'll be honest, I wore my Value Village Che shirt quite a lot. I wore it so often, in fact, that the ancient colours started to fade with each subsequent wash. It was a gradual change that I never really took note of. It's kinda like how you don't notice a change in your friend if you see him on a regular basis, but go a month or two, and suddenly you remark "Man, you've changed alot since I last saw you! How'd you pack on those extra 50lbs!?" So yeah, it wasn't until a co-worker of mine at Tri-City Drilling questioned just why I was wearing a light pink shirt that I finally took notice.

It's true. The vibrant orange had faded to a dull pink, making the shirt bland and almost unwearable. Now, most people would simply dispose of a shirt that cost them $2.99, but no, I couldn't bear the thought. So one hour and one packet of orange RIT dye later, I had a brand new t-shirt and the legend of Che will continue to live on!


Currently listening to: Hex - Sirf (Hedfunk Remix)

No comments: