toil in hope and you will get there.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Mmmm...Brains!

First of all, I'm digging my site's slightly updated template. Secondly, there's nothing finer than eating waffles and bangers before bed!

It's been an interesting week, with a few news tidbits sprinkled here and there. The house that Nicole and I will soon be renting has gotten a bit of a face-lift. A landscaping crew has trimmed all the trees and bushes, mowed the lawn and emptied the gutters...which is awesome because I don't own a ladder or a lawnmower. As well, the painters have been by to spruce up the bedrooms and hallways. The next stage will be the cleaners (apparently the previous tenants were heavy smokers) after which the city will hand the keys over to us! The sooner the better, I say, since that'll give us plenty of time to pack things up and carry them across the street.

I participated in an MRI/Schizophrenia study this morning. To clarify, I was part of the healthy control group. I'd signed up for it almost 2 months ago, but the researchers had to wait on the MRI technicians to update the hardware. It was a pretty cool experience, that's for sure! They ask you to lie perfectly still, as even shifting a few millimeters can screw up their imaging - then they clamp your head into a vice, pretty much negating your ability to do so. As they mapped my grey matter, I performed a series of tests, involving pushing a button to match the corresponding dot on the screen. The whole process took about 40 minutes, and I'll admit, there were times when I was feeling a bit claustrophobic. I also learned that MRI machines are very loud and make sounds that range from thumping bass to lazer beam sounds to parking garage gate buzzers. Best of all, I got to see the scans of my brain (thankfully, everything was where it should be) and they were impressed at how symmetrical it was. I have a handsome brain, I suppose.

As I left the hospital, I was then accosted on the street by a reporter from Dose, and was interviewed for their random street-talkers section. I answered a few questions on "strip club etiquette" so it looks like I'll have some newspaper clippings that mom will be proud to display on the fridge...

Currently: Praying that Maizey sleeps-in later than 4am today!

No comments: