toil in hope and you will get there.

Monday, October 30, 2006

To The Woodshed...

Though I might come off sounding a bit, well, retarded, I just can't seem to feel bad about losing 18 - 2 at ball hockey. It was a travesty of unimaginable proportions, to be sure, but I save my competitive rage for loses by fewer than 16 goals. Play hard and lose a game by 1, maybe 2 goals - that's hard on a guy's ego.

It's not that I'm not competitive or immune to the sting of humiliation when I lose, but what happened out there on the court went beyond one team playing better. It was evident after the first 3 minutes that our opponents could've done quite well in a higher division...perhaps, oh I don't know, the highest. To a man they were taller, faster, and stronger. I swear, when I took face-offs against their #2, I was practically eye-level with his navel!

Perhaps I walked away feeling good about the game because I was able to attain some personal goals. In my first game I think I was on the floor for half of the opposing team's goals. In this whuppin' my line was only victimized for one. I'm pretty sure I didn't win a face-off in my first game. Though we were getting beaten like rented mules, I managed to win about half of my face-offs. Also, I didn't trip over my own stick, score on my own net, or suffer any disfiguring injuries.

From where I'm standing, that embarrassment to the good game of hockey was an unmitigated success!

Finally, and to be completely honest, I go out there and run around like an idiot, or flop around in the crease because I'm having fun doing it. It doesn't matter if it's just the boys playing street hockey or us man-boys out there sporting Decepticon logos. I'm trying, and learning, and if what I do contributes to a victory that's just an added bonus. I appreciate the game because it's an opportunity to get together. To me, and I realize I'm bordering on the highest degree of corny-ness here, that hour of highs and lows, of those shared experiences, far outweighs the numbers on the scoreboard.

Currently: Praying that I won't be near immobilized for the next 3-4 days.

5 comments:

Jason P. said...

I completly agree Kris. Thanks for being my linemate!!

iHeartDimSum said...

Hey man, glad you're having fun. Wish I was there! But you DO sound a bit retarded with all the "I'm just happy to be alive" type stuff.

Anonymous said...

you lost 18-2? but really you do have the best attitude you can.

k.skinner said...

What can I say...I must have been feeling the effects of an endorphine/serotonin post-exercise "high."

Rest assured I returned to my usual pessimistic and critical demeanour by the next morning.

Jason P. said...

Well I finished even. It's like it was a tie!!!