toil in hope and you will get there.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

"The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning"

That, apparently, is the tag-line for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

While browsing the internet for classic movie trailers, I stumbled upon the one for this first Trek movie, and it piqued my interest. I've only watched the movie once, years ago, despite the fact that I've watched the other nine a few times each. Hell, I've watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan perhaps more times than any other movie (maybe not more than The Monster Squad)...but don't get me started on that epic sci-fi masterpiece.

ST:TMP is not a very good movie. The plot is paper thin, even for a Star Trek movie, and it's pacing is several factors slower than 2001: A Space Odyssey, believe it or not. For 1979 it looks pretty good, but the first hour is really nothing more than wide-angle shots of the Enterprise to variations of the orchestrated theme. In the meantime, a doe-eyed Kirk stares in wonder. Zzzzzzz....

Which is exactly why I rented the Special Directors Edition the other night - to put me to sleep. Mission accomplished, though I had nightmares that I too was unable to logically conclude that V---ger was simply Voyager covered by a bit of space dust.

Bah!

Currently: The victim of attending another crappy Edmonton Eskimos loss.

No comments: