toil in hope and you will get there.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Rendezvous with Vegreville

So I was laying on the floor in the middle of the living room, in what Nicole described as an impossible contortion of elbows and angles, when the good ol' Pysanka showed up on CBC Newsworld. It was an episode of Culture Shock and they had cameras going around Central/Eastern Alberta and documenting all the strange, large Ukrainian monuments. Vegreville clearly took centre stage, overshadowing that town with the giant pyrogy and Mundare with its giant ring of kubasa. Scott's dad was even interviewed to relate the importance of the attraction to the community, and I even learned something new - that the design of the egg was the first use of sophisticated computer graphics!

I seem to have phased back into a sci-fi reading kick as I've dusted off my Rama collection. The first book, Rendezvous with Rama was just as good, if not better, than I remembered. It's very easy to get wrapped up in its story and read the whole thing in one sitting - you just feel compelled to see what's gonna be revealed on the next page. From there, I hit Rama II, which was published 16 years later, and while it was still decent, it contained a lot of stereotypical soap opera crap. Love triangles, over-blown characters, numerous and unnecessary side stories and plots, etc. It did, however, make me want to tackle The Garden of Rama, despite remembering that this series continues to get more absurd with each book. I guess not absurd, per se, but the sense of wonder and discovery in the first book is never really recaptured or built upon adequately.

Currently: Ready to hop into bed...right after I take the puppy out for a walk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember seeing that when it first aired like 3 years ago. They sent us a copy, that now belongs to the town.

Scott